‘Think Check Submit‘ is a tool that helps you to make informed decisions on where to publish.
Sharing research results with the world is key to the progress of your discipline and career. But with so many publications, how can you be sure you can trust a particular journal? Follow this check list to verify you choose trusted journals for your research.
As a researcher you might usefully consider the checklist. Obtaining answers to the questions should help you identify the quality indicators that you need in order to feel confident that the publisher of the journal you select can be trusted to provide a professional service. It is important to add value throughout the publication process and ensure the widest reach and visibility for your new addition to the scholarly debate. Researchers should submit their work to a journal only if they can answer ‘Yes’ to most of the questions on the checklist. These include:
- Can you contact the publisher by telephone, email and post?
- Is the journal clear about the type of peer review it uses?
- Is it clear what fees will be charged?
- Do the editorial board mention the journal on their own websites?
The tool has been produced with the support of a coalition from across scholarly communications in response to discussions about deceptive publishing.
Want more information?
- Read: Dobson, H., (November 2016). Think.Check.Submit.: the campaign helping researchers navigate the scholarly communication landscape. Insights. 29(3), pp.228–232. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1629/uksg.323
- Or contact UM Open Access consultant Coen van Laer