Open Access Week 2020Open with purpose
OA Publishing Checklist | Open Access Tip
We created a simple checklist for Maastricht University (UM) and Maastricht University Medical Centre (MUMC+) researchers who want to publish an Open Access article using the services of the University Library.
Open Access publishing
Although Open Access publishing is preferred by our university and the government and mandated by research funders, the steps to take and workflows to follow are sometimes complicated. Moreover, if you do not have funding to pay for the article processing charges (APC) you may think that OA publishing is not possible.
However, there may still be plenty of opportunities available with no costs involved for you. Via our Open Access portal, our research support workshops and our support team we help researchers like you daily.
To make OA Publishing even easier for you, we created a checklist based on your frequently asked questions.
OA Publishing Checklist
1. Project proposal
1. Check if the research funding body has an OA policy or directive
2. Check if a budget for Article Processing Charges (APCs) can be or has been included in the proposal
3. Check if the research funding body has made arrangements with publishers
2. During writing/submission of a manuscript
1. Make Open Access publishing one of the relevant selection criteria when selecting the best journal for your article
2. Check the journal of your choice in our Open Access Journal Browser and find out if we have an APC discount deal.We have APC deals with many publishers who often give 100% discount on the APC to submitting/corresponding authors of our institution.
3. Check the information on the publisher’s terms and workflows that may apply on our website
4. Make sure the submitting/corresponding author has an affiliation with UM or MUMC+ and uses the affiliation email address when communicating with the publisher
5. In some cases, you need to apply a waiver code, or voucher for submission (see the details listed for the different publishers). Please contact us in these cases
6. If in doubt, please contact us
3. At submission
1. Always use your UM or MUMC+ email address
2. Indicate during submission that you wish to publish OA and/or provide your waiver code
3. Select the appropriate Creative Commons (CC) license. Selection is based on funder’s requirements, options offered by the publisher and your personal/group publishing strategy. The selected CC version tells a reader/user how to (re)use your publication without asking your permission first. In general, the standard CC-BY license is preferable from an Open Access point of view and some research funders require this option.
More about CC-BY licenses: Open Access publishing and copyright
A more extensive overview: Guide to Creative Commons for Scholarly Publications and Educational Resources
4. All of our deals with publishers include a discount on the APC. If there is a right to a discount, this will be processed during publication and the final amount must show this discount (like a shopping cart). If an unexpected final amount remains, it means that something may have gone wrong and the publisher should be contacted.
Approving a final amount means that the submitting author (you) receives an invoice and must settle it via the research budget. Maastricht University has no central budget to declare APC invoices.
4. After publication
In the unfortunate case that you were unable to publish Open Access through the golden route described in steps 1-3, Green Open Access and Taverne offer a fail-safe solution.
2. Upload the best version allowed of your article in a reliable and sustainable repository like Maastricht University Research Publications (Pure)
3. Make sure you participate in “You share, We take care“, so we can make the published version of your paywalled publications findable and accessible to the world. It only takes one minute to fill in the consent form via UM Intranet
If you have any questions or want to know more, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Contact the author or a subject specialist
Use this webform for all your questions and remarks. The author of this post or a subject specialist will handle your message and respond or contact you within 1 business day.
Research Support Updates
Keep up-to-date with Research Support services and topics. Join our support mailing lists and receive updates of published news & events.