Towards 100% Open Access
Submit suggestions for a new national Open Access plan – Your contribution counts
The National Program Open Science (NPOS) is working on a new multi-year Open Access plan. Do you have ideas, or do you experience bottlenecks on the way to 100% Open Access? Let us know, or respond to the linked recent feasibility studies before 31 March.
The Dutch ambition is 100% Open Access. Universities, colleges, academic hospitals, medical organisations, TO2 institutes and the Rijkskennisinstellingen have worked hard on this.
In recent months, Pleiade Management & Consultancy, in collaboration with Research Consulting, conducted several studies into how the Netherlands can take the final steps towards 100% Open Access in a sustainable manner. These studies made a distinction between research articles and academic books. Pleiade has also conducted a study into alternative publication platforms to strengthen open access and open science policy.
The studies show that the path to 100% Open Access requires a different use of financial resources and should address international partnerships and developments. Another conclusion from the reviews is that structural investments are necessary to facilitate various Open Access routes and enable innovations in the publication landscape through alternative publication platforms.
A new national Open Access strategy
The reports form an essential basis for a renewed open access strategy. This strategy will become part of the National Program Open Science (NPOS) multi-year plan and the Open Access policy’s starting point for other parties involved, such as universities and research institutions.
In the coming months, the reports and the input from consultations will form the basis of the steps to take on new agreements between all parties involved.
- Nieuwe haalbaarheidsstudies vormen basis voor nieuw meerjarenplan open access; deel uw ideeën voor 100% Open Access [VSNU message]
- Naar 100% Open Access voor Nederlandse Onderzoekpublicaties: tijdschriftartikelen [PDF]
- Naar 100% Open Access voor Nederlandse Onderzoekpublicaties: tijdschriftartikelen – bijlagen [PDF]
- Naar 100% Open Access voor Nederlandse Onderzoekpublicaties: academische boeken [PDF]
- Alternatieve Open Access publicatieplatformen als change agents van het publiceren [PDF]
Maastricht University and MUMC + are involved in the consultations. So you are strongly invited to share your ideas and feedback about the reports, the current state of affairs and possible actions regarding 100% open access with us until 29 March 2021.
A few suggestions to help you think about your relationship with Open Access:
- What are your experiences with open access publishing?
- What is holding you back to publish your work open access?
- If anything was possible, what would open access publishing look like?
- What would really make a difference for you?
- What can UM, MUMC+ and the University Library do to help you publish all your work open access?
- What can be organised nationally, for all universities, to help you publish all your work open access?
Your feedback and suggestions
Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas and thoughts!
Contact the author or a subject specialist
Use this webform for all your questions and remarks. The author of this post or a subject specialist will handle your message and respond or contact you within 1 business day.
Research Support Updates
Keep up-to-date with Research Support services and topics. Join our support mailing lists and receive updates of published news & events.