Qualtrics - Online survey toolSubject guide
The Qualtrics Research Suite is a user-friendly, feature-rich web-based survey tool which allows users to build, distribute, and analyse online surveys, collaborate in real-time, and export data in multiple formats.
Users can create over 100 different question types, use interactive questions to increase response rates or use embedded video, audio clips or graphics in seconds. View the full listing of features here .
2.Who can use it
Qualtrics is available to all Maastricht University staff and current students for UM teaching, research and business purposes.
Use of Qualtrics Research Suite should be in accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) of the UM.
Don’t use Qualtrics to store your research data
Remove data from Qualtrics to secure storage, the moment research is completed.
Specifically, what do you need to do:
- Log in into Qualtrics
- For your completed surveys, go to Survey -> Tools -> Export -> Export Survey. This will download a QSF file with the empty survey, so you can re-use it later in new research. This file does not contain any research data from the respondents
- Go to Data & Analysis -> Export & Import -> Export Data, and choose the format you would like to store the data in (e.g. SPSS format)
- Verify (in e.g. SPSS) that your data has indeed been successfully stored
- Save the QSF file from (2) and your data file from (3) in your faculty servers for research data
- Remove the survey from Qualtrics: In the main menu at the right hand side after the project name at Actions -> Delete Project
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for all finished surveys
If you have any questions, or if you are running into any issues, please contact your local administrator (see schedule below).
Before using Qualtrics for data-collection, please make sure that you are completely aware of all requirements stated by Dutch Law, Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens. This is especially important when collecting personal data and/or sensitive data. Read more about privacy on the website of Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens .
Until further notice!
Please do not process ‘Special Personal Data’ through Qualtrics, for instance, data about religion, health, political or sexual preferences.
2.1.More about Special Personal Data
Special personal data
UM has concluded a data processing agreement with Qualtrics about processing low and middle-risk class personal data. It is still not permitted to process data from the highest risk class, the so-called ‘Special Personal Data’ through Qualtrics. Special personal data are, for example, religion or belief, race, political preference, health, sexual orientation, membership of a trade union or a criminal record. Read more .
This restriction may seriously hinder the progress of your research. Therefore, a procedure is proposed that facilitates the progress of current and new research and minimises risk. This procedure was discussed with the data protection officer of our university.
1. New studies
• Do not start new research via Qualtrics that includes questions about ‘Special Personal Data’.
2. Current studies including questions about ‘Special Personal Data’:
• Report to your local ‘division’ administrator that you or your students are currently using Qualtrics to collect ‘Special Personal Data’. Specify the name of your study and the expected end date of data collection.
• The moment data collection is completed, download your data and delete the data from Qualtrics.
3. Completed studies that include ‘Special Personal Data’.
• Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
For more information, contact your local division administrator, check the overview of UM local administrators in the section Help & Support below.
Qualtrics is a worldwide leading survey tool, in terms of functionalities, security and privacy measures and is the only survey tool in the license at UM. Please don’t use other tools to create questionnaires, because they are less safe.
Read also the full text of the legal advice from the UM data protection officer and UM Legal Affairs below.
2.2.Read the full text of the legal advice from the UM data protection officer and UM Legal Affairs
Qualtrics, the UM online survey tool and the Dutch Personal Data Protection Act (Wbp)
The UM has concluded a license agreement with Qualtrics and is currently negotiating with Qualtrics on a data processing agreement that includes the possibility to perform audits. During this process, it is not allowed to process ‘Special Personal Data’ through Qualtrics.
The UM has concluded a license agreement with Qualtrics based on the General Terms of Service of Qualtrics and the related security and privacy measures. Qualtrics also participates in the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield framework. This means that the privacy of participants in surveys and/or studies, which are carried out through the Qualtrics platform, is basically guaranteed.
The legislation when it comes to technical and organisational measures becomes more stringent when the personal data to be processed poses a greater risk to the privacy of participants in case of unauthorised access, for example in the case of a data breach.
However, the UM has not yet been able to audit the actual functioning of these measures. The UM is negotiating with Qualtrics on the conclusion of a data processing agreement which also includes the possibility to perform audits.
Therefore, for the time being, it is not permitted to process data from the highest risk class, the so-called ‘Special Personal Data’, through Qualtrics.
Special personal data are, for example, religion or belief, race, political preference, health, sexual orientation, membership of a trade union or a criminal record.
Of course, for processing other personal data (and processing with other software or services), it is required that those processes always comply with the Dutch Personal Data Protection Act (Wbp).
This implies that processing must be well documented and that in most cases the data subject (participant in a survey) must explicitly consent to the processing. This consent, which may also be revoked, must be kept in a register.
Also, further processing of personal data acquired through Qualtrics must comply with the Wbp.
Contact the local administrator of your UM department or faculty (see below under Help & Support). The local administrator will give all the information you need to get an account that enables you to create questionnaires. Please mention in the subject of the Contact-email ‘Qualtrics account’
Please don’t make an account on www.qualtrics.com !
If you have your UM Qualtrics account, always login via this UM Qualtrics address: maastrichtuniversity.qualtrics.com
5.Help and support
When you have a specific question, first check the Qualtrics support site.
Didn’t find the answer, then contact Qualtrics Support – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still have a question, contact your local UM administrator
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience
- School of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Humanities and Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Student Services Centre
- Facility Services
- University Library
- Maastricht University Office
Contact & Support
For questions or information, use the web form to contact a library specialist.
Ask Your Librarian - Contact a library specialist