Qualtrics - Online survey toolSubject guide
The Qualtrics Research Suite is a user-friendly, feature-rich web-based survey tool which allows users to build, distribute, and analyse online surveys, collaborate in real-time, and export data in multiple formats.
Users can create over 100 different question types, use interactive questions to increase response rates or use embedded video, audio clips or graphics in seconds. View the full listing of features here .
2.Who can use it
Qualtrics is available to all Maastricht University staff and current students for UM teaching, research and business purposes.
Use of Qualtrics Research Suite should be in accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) of the UM.
Don’t use Qualtrics to store your research data
Remove data from Qualtrics to secure storage, the moment research is completed.
Specifically, what do you need to do:
- Log in into Qualtrics
- For your completed surveys, go to Survey -> Tools -> Export -> Export Survey. This will download a QSF file with the empty survey, so you can re-use it later in new research. This file does not contain any research data from the respondents
- Go to Data & Analysis -> Export & Import -> Export Data, and choose the format you would like to store the data in (e.g. SPSS format)
- Verify (in e.g. SPSS) that your data has indeed been successfully stored
- Save the QSF file from (2) and your data file from (3) in your faculty servers for research data
- Remove the survey from Qualtrics: In the main menu at the right hand side after the project name at Actions -> Delete Project
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for all finished surveys
If you have any questions, or if you are running into any issues, please contact your local administrator (see schedule below).
Before using Qualtrics for data-collection, please make sure that you are completely aware of all requirements stated by Dutch Law, Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens. This is especially important when collecting personal data and/or sensitive data. Read more about privacy on the website of Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens .
2.1.More about Special Personal Data
Personal data and procedures
UM has concluded a data processing agreement with Qualtrics about processing low and middle-risk class personal data. It is also possible to process special (high-risk) personal data, when additional steps have been taken.
Special personal data are, for example, religion or belief, race, political preference, health, sexual orientation, membership of a trade union or a criminal record. A procedure is established that facilitates the processing of special personal data in current and new research with minimal risk. This procedure has been approved by the Data Protection Officer of our university.
In any case, anonymisation or pseudonimisation of your survey is mandatory when processing special personal data:
1. New studies
- No special personal data:
When you want to start a new survey without special personal data you can use Qualtrics and you do not need to take steps. Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
- One-off process of special personal data:
You can use Qualtrics but you need to approach your respondent via an anonymous link. Information how you can do this in Qualtrics. Also, questions and documents in your survey should not include any (combination of) data which could identify your participants. Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
- Several measuring moments with special personal data during your survey period:
Please contact your local division administrator, check the overview of UM local administrators in the section Help & Support below. Your local administrator can assist you with pseudonimising your data processing to protect the privacy of your participants in Qualtrics. Also, questions and documents in your survey should not include any (combination of) data which could identify your participants
Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
2. Current studies including questions about ‘Special Personal Data’:
- You need to close your survey as soon as possible if you are not anonymising or pseudonomising all special personal data.
- Report also your local ‘division’ administrator that you or your students are currently using Qualtrics to collect ‘Special Personal Data’. Specify the name of your study and the expected end date of data collection.
- The moment your data collection is completed, download your data and delete the data from Qualtrics.
3. Completed studies that include ‘Special Personal Data’
- Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
A new functionality in Qualtrics is the File Upload. The file upload question type allows respondents to upload a file along with their survey response. Using this functionality, you can collect data that may not be available through standard survey questions. Please be aware that you are not allowed upload special personal data if (a combination of) this data could identify your participants
For more information, contact your local division administrator; check the overview of UM local administrators in the section Help & Support below.
Qualtrics is a worldwide leading survey tool, in terms of functionalities, security and privacy measures and is the only centrally supported survey tool at UM. Please don’t use other tools to create questionnaires, because they might be less safe and not compliant to the privacy laws (GDPR).
Contact the local administrator of your UM department or faculty (see below under Help & Support). The local administrator will give all the information you need to get an account that enables you to create questionnaires. Please mention in the subject of the Contact-email ‘Qualtrics account’
Please don’t make an account on www.qualtrics.com !
If you have your UM Qualtrics account, always login via this UM Qualtrics address: maastrichtuniversity.qualtrics.com
5.Help and support
When you have a specific question, first check the Qualtrics support site.
Didn’t find the answer, then contact Qualtrics Support – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still have a question, contact your local UM administrator
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience
- School of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Humanities and Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Student Services Centre
- Facility Services
- University Library
- Maastricht University Office
Contact & Support
For questions or information, use the web form to contact a library specialist.
Ask Your Librarian - Contact a library specialist