Taking an examDigital exams
Note that during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, all exams will take place online for the remainder of the academic year.
Please read the FAQ for online exams during COVID-19 for up-to-date information.
Taking an exam
These pages explain what to expect on the day of the exam.
At MECC Maastricht you will be taking your exam on a Chromebook provided by the university.
At the faculty (e.g. special arrangements) you will be taking the exam on a different type of computer. The same procedure applies, but the details may be different.
Please also read the Rules of Procedure for Exams .
At the exam venue
Almost all exams at UM, including digital exams, take place at MECC Maastricht. The doors of the exam hall open 15 minutes before the exam starts.
- Be on time! No one will be admitted to the exam hall once the exams have started.
- Bring your UMcard. A passport or other valid legal ID will also be accepted as identification at exams.
- Find your seat. Use the floor plans that are posted at the entrance to find the blocks of your faculty and your exam. The invigilators will be happy to help you find your seat.
Once you find your seat, the first thing to do is to log on and check whether your exam is visible to you.
- Log on with your UM username and password.
Username is your student number, including the ‘i’.
Use the Shift key to make capital letters.
- Click on “Take an exam”.
The exam should be visible in the exams list as of 15 minutes before the exam starts.
- Wait for the exam to start.
Please put away your mobile phone, take off your watch and put your UMcard on the corner of your table.
Ask an invigilator for help if the exam is not visible, so any problems may be resolved before the exam starts.
Take the exam
Wait for the official announcement of the start of the exam. Start the exam by clicking the blue arrow on the right. The exam will not be available before the official start time.
Read the instruction page carefully and answer the exam questions. You can go back to the instruction page during the exam.
Your answers will be saved continuously. This includes typing in open-ended questions.
Submit your exam for grading by clicking ‘Ready’ at the bottom right of the screen. Once you submit the exam you cannot go back to the questions.
Your exam must be submitted to be included in the grading process.
Need help? Signal the invigilator if you have any technical difficulties.
Before you leave:
- Log out of TestVision by clicking the exit icon on the TestVision home page.
- Log off (reboot) the Chromebook via the reboot button at the bottom left of your screen. This clears your browser session (single sign-on).