Gold Open Access
Publish in an OA journal or a subscription journal that offers OA publishing for individual articles.
Journals usually charge a publication fee, also known as Article Processing Charges (APC). The library has APC discount arrangements with many publishers.
- Gold OA journals/outlets: publish in a fully open access journal that does not charge subscription fees for reading access.
- Hybrid OA journals/outlets: publish in a traditional subscription journal that offers open access publication for individual articles on payment of an APC.
- Diamond OA journals/outlets: publish in a fully OA journal or platform that does not charge APCs.
Tip: Check the UM Journal Browser to see which discounts apply for UM/MUMC submitting authors. Remember to use your UM/MUMC email address to signal your affiliation.
Gold OA step-by-step
- Select a journal that offers OA publishing.
- Select Open Access during the submission or acceptance process and choose a Creative Commons (CC) license.
- Your article will be Open Access immediately upon publication.
Green Open Access
You publish in a subscription journal and archive and share a permitted version of your publication by depositing it in a trusted OA repository, such as the UM institutional repository.
More information: Taverne – You share, we take care!
Green OA step-by-step
- Publish your article in a subscription journal without an OA license.
- Participate in Taverne: You share; we take care!
- The library archives the published version in the institutional repository within six months after publication.
- We will share your article with the world after six months.