Adopt a bookSpecial Collections
Adopt a book and be acknowledged in our online gallery of adopted books
Starting from €100 you can link your name to Maastricht University in an original way. Explore with us the books that are in poor condition and adopt the book that appeals to you. As an adopter you can be proud to be contributing to the preservation of cultural heritage of significant value to society, education and research now and in the future.
Is our cause close to your heart?
Adopt and let us know what we can do for you. Play a part in the conservation of our unique, cultural heritage and receive:
- tax benefits as the gift is fully or partially deductible from your taxable income
- an illustrated restoration report of the adopted book, digitally or by mail
- an adoption certificate
- mention of your name in our catalogue, linked to the adopted book
- mention of your name in our online gallery of adopted books
- a private, guided tour of our Special Collections
- the Maastricht Academic Heritage Fund newsletter
- an invitation to our ‘Friends of the Special Collections’ meetings
Anonymous adoption? Choose your benefits from the list above.
After restoration you can browse through the adopted book in ‘The Parlour’, our tastefully decorated reception room allowing visitors to read books from our Special Collections in peace and quiet.
Among our adopted books are a scarce 1567 Lyons edition of the Vulgate Latin Bible, a Dutch translation of Bassius’s ‘Gründlicher Bericht von Baudagen’ from 1734 and a small illustrated Dutch print bible with explanations of biblical proverbs dated 1720.
Suggestion: remember a loved one or celebrate a special occasion with a bespoke adoption.
For adoption procedures or more information about the Adopt-a-book initiative, please contact Mr. Odin L.M.J. Essers MA, curator of Maastricht University’s Special Collections.