Access licensed resources online wherever you areUniversity Library
Remote access to licensed resources
Maastricht University students and staff members, as well as MUMC+ staff members have off-campus access to protected services and resources licensed by the library, like databases, e-journals and e-books.
We provide different solutions for remote access:
1. Lean Library Browser Extension
When you browse and search the internet for articles, journals or databases you may find content licensed by us.
However, if you are not on campus or not connected to the campus network, the website you visit does not know and will not give you access to web pages or publications. Or worse, asks you to pay for access (paywall). In these cases, the Lean Library Browser Extension will automatically show you a notification and give you access to the licensed content offered by the library.
For students and staff who need access to UM network resources, the university offers a dedicated VPN service for students (SDA) and for staff (VPN). Use this connection only if you need to access the UM network.
For access to licensed sources, please use the Lean Library browser extension. Or access the sources via the library website.
2. Student Desktop (SD) and Student Desktop Anywhere (SDA)
The University is using Student Desktop (SD) / Student Desktop Anywhere (SDA) as a way of providing students with a Windows desktop environment with all-in-one access to the Online Library, I-drive, Office 2016, SPSS, Endnote and faculty specific applications without the need to install any software.
SD is available on all library computers.
You can access SDA remotely On and Off campus with your own device (web login).
- For easy access, the SDA web login user manual explains everything step by step.
- For an even better experience (i.e. save files on your local device and the use of USB sticks) you have the option to install the Horizon client on a wide selection of operation systems; PC, MAC, IOS, ANDROID.
- This services are only available to UM students.
- For UM teachers we have a special section: Teaching and the use of Student Desktop Anywhere – access, temporary accounts and available software.
3. Virtual Private Network (VPN) – for staff
The Maastricht University VPN – Virtual Private Network – connects your device safely to the university network. This is a service for UM staff working at remote locations.
After having installed and activated the VPN connection, your device will communicate with the Internet via the UM VPN server. Consequently, you can use your device as if you’re on campus.
If you are off campus you’ll need to log in with your UM-account in order to gain access to these manuals.The UM VPN is serviced by the ICT Service Center.